When: Saturday June 25th, 9:00am – 2:00pm
Where: United Center, Parking Lot E, On Wood St. between Madison & Warren Blvd.
What: Residents can shred up to 10 boxes of documents , FREE!
Only paper documents are permitted to be shredded at this event. Stapled and/or paper clipped documents are okay. Inappropriate items such as clothing, food, and garbage will be refused.
Visit www.chicagoshreds.com for more information on this event and to sign up for email notifications of future Chicago paper shredding events.
Guidelines for storing personal/financial documentation:
- The IRS has three years from your tax-filing date to audit, and has six years to challenge a claim. A good rule of thumb is to keep all tax returns and supporting documentation for seven years.
- Keep credit card statements for seven years if tax related expenses are documented.
- Keep paycheck stubs for one year. Be sure to cross reference the paycheck stub to the W-2 form.
- Be sure to keep bank statements and cancelled checks for at least one year.
- Bills should kept for one year or until the cancelled check has been returned.
- Receipts for large ticket items should be kept for insurance purposes. Home improvement receipts should be kept for six years or permanently.
- Items such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills should be kept permanently in a safety deposit box. If you are going to dispose of documents with sensitive information, be sure to SHRED!