Thursday February 21st, 2013– 6:30pm, St. Helen School Cafeteria
Officers and UVNA Board Members in attendance:
- Vice President: Harriet Siller
- Secretary: Samantha Arnold
- Board Members: George Matwyshyn, Patrick Danaher
Presentation from Commander Melissa Staples of the 12th District
Commander Staples introduced herself to us, and ran through her background with the CPD – 22 years on the job, and previously served as commander in the North Side’s 17th District. She is a resident of the old 13th district and is familiar with our area. She talked about the work the 12th has been doing to combat gang violence, as well as some recent successes, talked about the tactical teams that have been doing the great work they were doing in the old 13th, and mentioned new teams and/or initiatives underway to deal with specific crime issues in the new 12th district.
- While the 12th district is one of the geographically largest it also has more officers than any other district in the city.
- Community awareness is always an important part of fighting crime and she stressed the importance of calling something in if it doesn’t feel right. “If it doesn’t feel right, it’s probably not”.
- She talked about gang graffiti and the importance of getting gang graffiti removed ASAP.
- Call in any gang graffiti that you see and send a photo along with the address where the graffiti is spotted to the 12th district –CAPS012District@chicagopolice.org
Presentation from Energy Impact Illinois
Vito Greco from Energy Impact Illinois gave a an update on the program they have running to help homeowners reduce energy bills. They help homeowners connect with rebates and certified professionals to conduct energy efficient improvements. Homeowners can receive up to $1750 in instant rebates for cost-effective and permanent energy efficient improvements like air sealing and insulation.
- This program runs through May 2013 (may be extended to September)
- This program is available for single-family homes and buildings with 2-4 units.
- Buildings with 5 or more units can take part in a similar Energy Savers Program.
Representatives from Alderman Fioretti’s office were also at the meeting to introduce themselves and the 2nd ward. We will be working with the Alderman’s office to find a date when he can meet with the UVNA.