What Is SARFS?
SARFS stands for Small Accessible Repairs For Seniors, which is a city-funded program, that provides safety, security and accessibility improvements in the dwellings of eligible seniors.
For What Propose?
To help seniors remain in their homes and improve the quality of their lives, with appropriate repairs and installations of safety equipment, security improvements, an other items, which makes homes easier for seniors to use.
What Kinds of Improvements Are Eligible?
- Safety devices – fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors
- Minor floor and step repairs
- Repair and replacement of locking hardware, doors and windows if not secure
Accessibility Installation and Improvements
- Grab bars, transfer benches and tub assist bars in bathrooms
- Chair-height toilets
- Accessible faucets
Who Is Eligible?
- Senior citizens, 60 years or older, who meet HUD income eligibility guidelines
- Owners or renters (with landlord’s permission), living in single family homes or multi-family buildings from 1-4 units
- Those with residences located in Wards: 1, 2, 24, 26, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 35, and 44.
Who Do I Contact?
Misty LeBlanc (773) 929-5552 ext. 235 or here on the City of Chicago website for more information