Thursday November 21st, 2013 – 6:30pm – St. Helen School Cafeteria
Officers and UVNA Board Members in attendance:
- President: Paul Matwyshyn
- Vice President: Patrick Danaher
- Treasurer: Harriet Siller
- Secretary: Samantha Arnold
- Board Members: George Matwyshyn
Presentation on Illinois PIRG’s efforts to educate Illinois Residents about the HealthCare Marketplace
We had a presentation from a Loyola University student and intern with Illinois -PIRG, a non-profit consumer awareness group.
Right now, Illinois PIRG is working on educating consumers about how best to shop for the new insurance options that are available to them. As a consumer watchdog group, our main goal is to educate the general public about the new system and make sure that everyone is aware of their options and how to use their new benefits. We would like to provide information about the main changes of health insurance with the Affordable Care Act, a quick overview of how to get started with the Health Insurance Marketplace, and provide additional resources consumers can contact for more information.
- Illinois’s website and process has been running much more smoothly than the federal website, and your best bet is to start with the state site.
- There are 3 levels of service
- Signing up by December 13th 2013 means your coverage begins Jan 1 2014
- See this guide on their website, which includes a downloadable .pdf
- Can also call 866-311-1119 for “Get Covered Illinois” which will help answer your questions
West Town SSA#29 Reconstitution & Expansion
- What is the West Town SSA?
The West Town SSA was established in November 2004 by City Council ordinance. The mission of West Town SSA is to maintain and improve the shopping, dining and nightlife within the SSA boundary by providing a cleaner, safer and more attractive commercial environment both for consumers, residents and business owners.
The Special Service Area (SSA) is an economic development tool, created by state statute and city ordinance, which allows extra real estate property taxes to be collected to fund added services for a defined area. It is the only taxing body in which property owners choose to be assessed and have direct decision-making authority on the use of those funds.
- What is the “Reconstitution and Expansion”
The West Town SSA#29 will be expiring on December 31, 2014, and unless reconstituted, all services will stop. The West Town SSA Commissioners have decided to apply for a Reconstitution & Expansion of the West Town SSA. The West Town SSA is currently SSA #29, but after the Reconstitution it will become a new number.
- What does this mean to me?
If you are a property owner along the streets claimed by the proposed expansion map, you will be assessed additional property taxes to cover the activities for the SSA and these fees will continue for 15 years.
Here is the map for the proposed SSA – streets covered by the new SSA are highlighted in yellow (click on the map to enlarge)
- What happens next?
- We were recently informed by the 32nd Ward office that a developer has contacted them about demolishing the church at the corner of Hoyne & Iowa and replacing it with new construction. The church is not part of the landmark district and may not be a candidate for individual landmark protection.
- We will follow-up with the Alderman’s office to understand if there is any input we can have about the construction of any new structure.
- During the meeting we brainstormed and created a list of possible activities for our neighborhood association to pursue in 2014. We’ve got a short list of 9 ideas and are looking for your help in setting the priorities.
- Please take our quick survey and rate your interest in each item on a scale from 1 to 5.
- Our December meeting on Thursday the 19th will again be a holiday social event at a neighborhood bar.
- We invite our friends from area neighborhood associations to join us, and we’ll confirm the location shortly.