Thursday February 20th, 2014 – 6:30pm – St. Helen School Cafeteria
Officers and UVNA Board Members in attendance:
- President: Paul Matwyshyn
- Treasurer: Harriet Siller
- Secretary: Samantha Arnold
- Board Members: George Matwyshyn
It appears that neither one of these churches could be added to the district on their own, like St. John’s church was, as St. John’s was part of the historic context of Ukrainian Village. While the historic district is rather tightly framed as residential, St. John’s congregation played a very active role in the historic residential development of Ukrainian Village. That history helped link St. Johns to the residential context of the village two years ago.
These recent sales have raised concerns by many neighbors about other churches that may not be landmarked and how we can protect them from demolition. Based on some very preliminary research, it appears that the best route to preserve existing structures not already within the boundaries of the Ukrainian Village Historic District, might be to request another extension to the district that combines parcels that currently exist outside the boundaries. Churches that may be outside the boundaries at this time include:
- St. Helen Parish (2315 W. Augusta Blvd)
- St. Volodymyr Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral (2250 W. Cortez St)
- Saints Volodymyr & Olha Ukrainian Catholic Church (2245 W. Superior)
- St. Stephen King of Hungary Church (2015 W. Augusta Blvd)
In order to start this process we will need to, among other things, review property in the neighborhood and make a proposal to Chicago Landmarks. We will follow up on this at the next meeting. Neighbors interested in assisting with this effort should contact the UVNA at email@example.com.
Eddie Winters – Democratic Candidate for State Representative
Eddie Winters is seeking to become the Democratic nominee for State Representative in the 10th district. The primary election will be held March 18th, 2014. He stopped by our meeting to meet with neighbors in our area. You might remember him from his 4-month term as representative when he replaced the expelled Derrick Smith. More info can be found on his website here.
UVNA Officer Elections
Elections for new officers (President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary) will take place at the April 2014 meeting. In order to run for office you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current member of UVNA (dues paid by the March 2014 meeting)
- Be part of a slate – meaning that in the election members will vote on proposed slates of 4 officers
- one member may only be on 1 slate
- slates consist of president, VP, treasurer, secretary
Board members and committees are appointed or approved by the officers.
You can join online on our membership page or bring cash to the March 2014 meeting. If you have any questions about membership, send an email to info@ unva.org.