Shred or recycle your stuff for free!
WHEN: Saturday June 23rd, 2012, 9:00am – 2:00pm
WHERE: United Center – Parking Lot E (On Wood Street between Madison & Warren Blvd)
WHAT: SHRED up to 10 boxes of documents and also RECYCLE the following types of electronics:
- Compute r Monitors
- Data Storage devices
- Fax or copy machines
- Cell phones
- VCRs/DVD players/Video game consoles
Only paper documents are permitted to be shredded at this event. Stapled and/or paper clipped documents are okay. Inappropriate items such as clothing, food, and garbage will be refused.
Guidelines for determining what sorts of documents you can/should shred:
- The IRS has three years from your tax-filing date to audit, and has six years to challenge a claim. A good rule of thumb is to keep all tax returns and supporting documentation for seven years.
- Keep credit card statements for seven years if tax related expenses are documented.
- Keep paycheck stubs for one year. Be sure to cross reference the paycheck stub to the W-2 form.
- Keep bank statements and cancelled checks for at least one year.
- Bills should kept for one year or until the cancelled check has been returned.
- Receipts for large ticket items should be kept for insurance purposes.
- Home improvement receipts should be kept for six years or permanently.
- Documents NOT TO SHRED: birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills should be kept permanently in a safety deposit box.